Monday, May 11, 2009

Homemaking and Talents

I think that homemaking and homekeeping offer lots of opportunities for developing talents. It wasn't until I quit working (outside my home) that I discovered things that I like to do and may be good at. As a side note, I taught school previously and I had such a hard time pulling the curriculum together. I really struggled with writing workshop and how to teach First Graders how to write. Then I had my little boy and I was looking on the internet for activities for him to do and I found a website explaining how to do writer's workshop and other literacy activities and it clicked in my brain. I understood what I could do to teach writing and also the other reading activities. It finally made sense. I also discovered that lesson planning came more naturally. Ironic because I'm not currently teaching school.



Anyway.

I also became interested in scrapbooking. But I haven't really scrapbooked pictures - I have used the scrapbooking stuff for other things.

For example, I put together a binder to keep all of my schedules, etc. (Fly Lady calls it a control journal). Fly Lady also said it didn't need to be fancy or to let our perfection get in the way of making it. But the reason I took the extra time to make it pretty is because it motivates me. I mean sometimes I just don't look forward to cleaning and laundry and dishes. When I see my binder cover I am reminded that I can do more than just be a maid. I have other skills and talents and gifts. I see it and am reminded that I can also be creative and create things. Also, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.




So here's my cover.
It's kind of hard to see the details. The picture is by Greg Olson and it's called "Heavenly Hands". I chose this picture because it reminds me of my role in my home.
I put a quote on there too to remind me of my purpose and role as wife, mother, woman.
It is by Spencer W. Kimball. It says:
"To be a righteous woman during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman's strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help, to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home--which is society's basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife."




No comments: